Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Filmmaker Kenneth J. Hall found murdered in New Mexico

Kenneth J. Hall, the american filmmaker who single-handedly revived the nunsploitation genre with "The Halfway House", was brutally murdered in New Mexico by a deranged fan with a knife. He was 47 years old and...

Ah, who am I trying to fool? It was only a movie. Let Kenneth tell us all the juicy details:

"It began with a phone message from Scott Phillips. He said he had started shooting a new movie and another writer/director (who shall remain nameless), who agreed to appear in it, had backed out. He went on to ask if I would do it. I called him back, stating that I really wasn't an actor and questioning the wisdom of flying me out to be one. He said he really wanted me to do it so, after some deliberation, I said yes. Besides, it was a slow week in Los Angeles.

He e-mailed me my sides. The project is called GIMME SKELTER. I play a traveling salesman who is knifed to death by a stripper named Little Delilah, who soaks up my blood with her white cotton panties. Cool. The name of my character is Calver Weams, taken from my favorite Don Knotts movie, THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN. Cooler still.

Within a few days, I was dropped off at the Burbank airport and flew to Albuquerque, New Mexico. I had arranged to stay with my lifelong friend, Patricia Rogers and her husband. She had introduced me to Scott many years ago and has been a big supporter of his independent filmmaking. It was great to hang out with her, have dinner, drink some wine, and smoke cigars. (I think I got her hooked on the things!)

I wasnt able to get much sleep thanks to a late-night intrusion by Pats cat, so getting up early was no picnic. The call was nine AM at a strip bar in a town called Moriarty, nearly an hours drive away. We picked up sci-fi writer Bob Vardeman on the way. He has been an actor in most of Scotts films. Hes in this one though he wasnt schedule to work this day.

We finally arrived at the 203 Topless, named after the highway exit its located off of. Next to it is a truck stop café and a motel everything a man on the road could want in one desolate spot! I was greeted by Scott, his producing partner Billy Garberina, and introduced to his small- but-dedicated crew. Some were people Id met on a previous visit. Others were folks I knew through MySpace. I was surprised to see actor Trent Haaga from LA there. Hes also in the movie but wasnt working that day. (It seems everyone likes to show up when naked girls are around.)

I was made welcome by one and all, being made to feel like a bit of a celebrity. I tried on my wardrobe, which included a custom embroidered shirt for Heggs Typesetting. This was another GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN reference, even though theyd misspelled the name as Haigs. Sid Haig will probably think they were referring to him.

The early scenes go smoothly: I enter the bar, flash a wad of bills (borrowed from the cast and crew), order a drink from the bartender (played by a charming young lady named Kell), before Little Delilah makes her entrance and comes on to me. I meet the actress playing this character. Ashley Bryce is a lean blonde who has primarily done extra work. This will be her first speaking role. It will also be her first nude scene.

All my early dialogue is with Kell and Kerri. Scott and Billy are moving at a fast clip and we all crack jokes to put the girls at ease. After this is done, we get a break while Cassandra and Crystal, a couple of dancers who actually work at the club, come in to provide some background nudity. Theyre both very cool, down-to-earth ladies who seem fascinated by the filmmaking process. Coincidentally, most of the guys on set are equally fascinated by them.

We move on to the lap-dancing scene in the private room. The set is closed in deference to Kerri, who is understandably nervous. Its just me, Scott, and Billy, along with Cassandra and Crystal, who have been invited in as technical consultants. The scene is tricky in that there is actual dialogue going on between us while she grinds away on me. Billy demonstrates the choreography to Kerri and gives me a lap-dance in the process. (Scott rolled tape on this so it will probably wind up in the behind-the-scenes. Damn, why couldnt they have asked one of the girls to do this?)

While shooting the scene, a sudden desert rainstorm began pounding down on the tin roof of the building as Kerri went through her moves. (Hopefully, the music that will be added in post will cover the sound.) Despite her anxiety, she came off as a total pro, earning numerous compliments from the real strippers on the set. My role is intended to be a total sleazebag and, based on the reactions I gave to this hot little 21-year-old crawling all over me, I was giving them what they wanted.

Things slowed down considerably once we moved into the store room to shoot my demise. Because of my effects background, the guys asked my advice on how to get fake blood to flow across a concrete floor. I was surprised to learn they left their garden sprayers at home. (These are commonly used to squirt blood in films.) Fortunately, the owner of the club had one and I put one of the assistants to work, testing it out. In the meantime, the set was closed again while Kerri did her second nude scene, changing from her school girl outfit into white cotton underwear. Again, she had to do this while doing dialogue with me.

We finally reached the moment where I get stabbed. For my initial reaction, we pantomimed it without the knife. Scott, Billy, and the strippers (who wanted to hand around for the blood) jumped during the first take, so I guess we did a good job. The first actual gag involved me flicking drops of blood onto Kerri's white ankle socks, which should appeal to gore-hounds and fetishists alike. The last bit entailed me lying face down on the cold floor while nearly a gallon of colored corn syrup was pumped out from a tube hidden under me. The blood wasnt as cooperative as we would have liked. Still, Scott got the finale he wanted with Little Delilah sitting before me, legs spread, letting the red fluid stain her panties. (He may not know art but he sure knows what he likes.)

The final shots were the night exteriors of my initial arrival at the bar. The guys set up outside during intermittent rain while I cleaned up and put on fresh wardrobe. The bad weather slowed things up but we finally wrapped after fifteen long hours. Since I was flying out the next morning, I had to bid everyone farewell. All in all, my first onscreen death was a worthwhile experience".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker